Re: Bugs/suggestions

On 14 Feb 00, at 12:56, Matthew Brealey wrote:

> FOUR:
> [...]
>
> I do wish Tidy wouldn't think that its users are idiots and don't know
> that inline elements can't span block ones and that pre can't enclose
> other block elements, and would simply just add the missing </b>...

To me, this feature is extremely valuable, as FrontPage 98 in particular
loves to span block elements with inline ones.  Tidy does a perfect job in
cleaning up this auto-generated mess.

Perhaps what is desired is alternate behavior, depending on whether the
HTML source file is generated by hand or by machine.  As a proposal,
perhaps keying on the presence of a <meta name="GENERATOR" ...> tag
(although *not* Tidy's own tag :-) would engender one of two behaviors: the
current insertion of extra inline tags if the GENERATOR tag is present
(implying a machine-generated source), and simple termination of the inline
element if the GENERATOR tag is absent.

                                      -- Dave Bryan