Re: Tidy Wraps Between an Attribute and its Value: Problem?

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 17:47:35 +0800 (CST)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 html-tidy@war-of-the-worlds.org wrote:

> Whitespace is allowed on both sides of the equals sign in the
> attribute=value pair, including newlines.  The specification allows this
> and the browsers I've used have had no problems with it.

Yes, this is how it is defined in SGML:" see ISO 8879 production 32 [1]
	attribute specification =
	 s*,  (name,s*,vi, s*)?, attribute value specification

where vi is "=".  XML has  rules with a similar effect (except that
attribute names and the = cannot be omitted) for whitespace.

Rick Jelliffe
Fmr. delegate, ISO JTC1/SC32 WG8

[1] from Goldfarb, The SGML Handbook, p 328