TIDY vs XHTML'd JavaDoc HTML code

From: Julian Reschke <reschke@medicaldataservice.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:26:21 -0400 (EDT)
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Hi,

first of all, thanks for your wonderful tool.

I am using TIDY to transform JavaDoc's output into XHTML (using
tidy -asxnm -n), for later transformations using MSXML3's XSLT processor (I
don't think that the issue is in Microsoft's XSLT implementation,
though...).

As far as I understand the issue, in XML documents whitespace between tags
is not relevant, so for instance an XML parser treats:

<pre>
</pre>

like

<pre>
</pre>

which of course is not what you want :-)

I figured out that the workaround is to set the attribute xml:space to
"preserve", like in

Is there a way to let TIDY do this automatically (because after reading with
an XML processor it's already too late...).

Thanks,

Julian