Unintentional newlines inserted by tidy?

From: Steinar Kjærnsrød <steinar@infostream.no>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 00:25:53 +0100 (MET)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
I run tidy using this config file:

wrap: 72
indent: yes
indent-attributes: no
add-xml-pi: no
char-encoding: latin1
break-before-br: yes
new-blocklevel-tags: restype

Everything is fine. Then I change the indent option to "auto", and the
indentation behaviour is as  anticipated. However, one newline
is inserted after a many end-tags. For instance, a long list of option
elements looks like this

            ..
            <option value="InfoProject demousers">
              InfoProject demousers
            </option>
            <option value="InfoStream AS">
              InfoStream AS
            </option>
            ..

with indent set to "yes", and with one extra newline between each
option element with indent set to "auto". This goes for other elements as
well.

I'm using the 30nov version of tidy on Linux.

Am I missing something here, or is this a strange misfeature?

--
Steinar Kjærnsrød <steinar@infostream.no>
InfoStream AS