Re: Tidy (27Sep) inserts Blockquote

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> given is the following HTML File:

> The Warnings are:
> line 1 column 1 - Warning: inserting missing 'title' element
> line 1 column 5 - Warning: plain text isn't allowed in <ul> elements
> line 1 column 10 - Warning: missing </blockquote> before <li>
>
> and Tidy's output is:
>
> [...]
>
> <ul>
> <li>texttext</li>
> </ul>
> [...]
>
> Since there was no sign that there was any type of quotation in
> my code, tidy should not inserte a blockquote element here.

Thanks for this and your follow on messages. I am working on a new
release but may not be able to address all issues in a single
release without a long delay.

This feature was requested by a user, who found it helpful for
Tidy to reproduce the same visual rendering while fixing the
document so that it conforms to the spec.

On further reflection, I now believe that it makes more sense
to wrap an li around naked content in list elements and to
add a style attribute to suppress the bullet or number. I am
developing a complementary tool called HTML Untidy which will
be used for converting clean HTML+CSS to support old browsers.

On the style element - the next release will set the type
attributes for style and script.

Thanks again for the feedback.

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)