RE: "Missing quotemark" can be a warning?

From: Randy Waki <rwaki@sun10.whizbanglabs.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:43:03 -0600
Larry W. Virden wrote:

> HTML 4.0 or perhaps 4.01 requires the quotes.  They are not
> optional there.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Tidy divides its complaints into two categories: warnings and errors.  Both
identify illegal/deprecated/etc. constructs that authors should be aware of.
The key difference is that errors prevent Tidy from producing an output
document.  This is crucial for some applications (like ours! :) ).

Almost all of Tidy's complaints are warnings.  I think this is what makes
HTML Tidy so valuable.  There are other HTML "verifiers" out there, but they
do not "tidy"; to them everything is an error.

With that point of view, the more Tidy can issue warnings rather than
errors, the better.

So my question is: Everything seems to be in place for Tidy to treat a
missing quotemark as a warning, yet Tidy is treating it as an error.  Is
this an oversight or perhaps a vestige of earlier versions?  Or have I
overlooked something and/or are my assumptions faulty?

Thanks,
Randy