RE: TIDY for PHP3

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Richard Allsebrook wrote:

> Oops, sorry for the typo - I was typing strait into the email.
>
> My only specification for tidy and PHP is that tidy completely
> ignores <? ?> and <?php ?> tags!  No formatting, entity
> translation, indenting/pretty printing - exactly the same as
> when it does when it encounters a <script></script> block.

This is tricky since <? ?> is the syntax used for processing
instructions, and it is unlikely to be the correct thing to
format all processing instructions in the way you want.

Perhaps Tidy could look at the name immediately following the <?
to determine what rendering to apply?

> I am intrigued to your solution for the <? mapping to &lt;?
> I use TIDY exclusively though HTML-Kit and the documentation
> provided is non-existent :-( Do you have any information on how
> TIDY is incorporated into HTML-Kit and what files I need to
> change to include this option?

Tidy is wrapped into a DLL for use in HTML Kit. I don't maintain
HTML Kit myself, so you need to contact "Chami" for further
information.

> Thanks again for the ever excellent TIDY.  I have no problems
> with its HTML parsing (apart from it adding a cr/lf after a <TD>
> which breaks the appearance of some tables) and I'd be the first
> to admit PHP integration is a little strange.
>
> I personal don't mind moving over to <?php ?> for inline tags if
> it would make the parsing simpler.

It would certainly be helpful to have a simply way for Tidy to know
which processing instructions should be formatted specially.

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)