Re: Making Tidy into a library call

At 3:51 PM +0100 7/6/99, Dave Raggett wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Douglas Cook wrote:
>
>> I will soon begin work integrating Tidy into a larger program
>> that I am working on, using it to convert existing files into
>> XHTML for input into a database.  I'm working in MS VC++ 6.0,
>> buiding for a multiprocessor Windows NT platform.  Has anyone
>> else converted Tidy into a library?  Any recommendations or
>> things to be aware of?

>Let me know if there are any changes that need to be made to the
>Tidy code itself to forstall any problems arising from regular
>updates to Tidy which otherwise you would have problems from
>benefitting from.

I have plenty of suggestions that would make my life easier to update my
Mac OS port of "tidy" everytime you release a new version <grin>. I have
got the updating down to a fine art now, but it would be possible to avoid
most of it with some changes to base "tidy" code.

I had been planning to anyway, to write up such a suggestion list - I will
try to do so soon.

Just another little thing that caught me on this last update that might
catch other people porting "tidy" as well - I used my default "case
insensitive" option in my text comparsion (diff) tool, and it wasn't until
I was single-stepping through some code did I notice an anomaly. It appears
that you changed the case of all tag string constants in the code from
UPPERCASE to lowercase, and changed 1 routine as well to cope with the
change. I only caught it because I had manually pasted in new tags (e.g.
"dl") and noticed all other tags were still uppercase (e.g. "ABBR"). I then
had to make a second pass through the code updating the parts affected by
the case change. I apparently missed seeing this in the release notes.

Regards, Terry