RE: Is Common Failure Technique F87: inserting non-decorative content by using ::before and ::after pseudo-elements; still valid?

Alan, see question near the end.

Steve,
Thanks for the link.

However,

  *   that gov.uk rationale was written in 2016. That page does load without CSS, as I would expect it to do since it was designed to do so back then. Kudos for that.
  *   the F87 technique was written earlier than 2015. It is actually a “hold over” from 1999 and WCAG 1.0’s checkpoint 6.1<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-TECHS/#tech-order-style-sheets>

Now, not that it is invalid just because it is “old”, but because the assumptions and rationale used to create the failure technique I assert to no longer be valid. A similar situation occurred when Success Criteria 4.1.1 is now obsolete and removed<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG22/Understanding/parsing>.

| …  If you want to use CSS content, you just need to state that CSS is a “relied-on technology” in your accessibility statement.

OK, interesting view. So, is there general agreement that if/when the web site states that CSS is required, then F87 is no longer required to meet 1.3.1?

Now, back to the 2016 (1999-ish) non-accessibility rationale with [my comment in brackets]:

You should not assume the reason for designing a service that works without CSS or JavaScript is because a user chooses to switch these off. There are many situations when extra layers can fail to load or are filtered, for example:
·        temporary network errors [hmm, network errors impact HTML same as CSS]
·        third-party browser extensions like ad blockers [not accessibility related and now a browser setting.]
·        third-party supplier downtime, such as when using a content delivery network [not accessibility related and only affects that small part anyway]
·        DNS lookup failures [not sure what this has to do with CSS, unless the assumption is that the CSS is loaded from a different server? Same as if the HTML is loaded from a different server (but who does that today anyway?)]
·        bugs introduced by browser updates [impacts HTML same as CSS, nothing unique to accessibility]
·        corporate firewalls blocking, removing or changing content (large institutions like banks or government departments may use these) [hmm, need an example to make a judgement]
·        mobile network providers changing content to speed up load times and reduce bandwidth usage [need an example to make a judgement]
·        personal firewalls or antivirus software changing or blocking content [that is the user’s choice, and they can choose to turn it back on]
·        the use of unsecure connections, where internet providers insert their own code into the page that accidentally conflicts with your own [need an example where this even happens still, but really nothing to do with accessibility because I don’t see how turning off CSS turns off the internet service provider’s ability to “insert their own code”. Browsers themselves handle this now.]

In summary, those “many situations” are handled differently today by using redundant services and other approaches so that the user is never presented with situations like that anymore.

Alan,
|… people who disable all site-provided CSS and replace it all with their own CSS, designed to alleviate some visual requirement of theirs.

I just need an example of a visual requirement that can’t be alleviated other than disabling “all” CSS and replacing “all” of it with their own.  Is there an appearance setting that bowser need that isn’t already met, or an OS setting, plug-in, or AT/user agent that is already installed by the user that does not require turning off CSS?

Again, I’m still looing for “a web example where this “testing technique” would uncover a real accessibility problem. But I’m leaning towards the “CSS is required”, so F87 is no longer a valid failure technique/requirement.

_______
Regards,

Phill Jenkins
IBM Accessibility, IBM Design
Equal Access toolkit and accessibility checker at ibm.com/able/<https://www.ibm.com/able/>
“Without accessibility, there is no diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities”