RE: Unicode characters used as images

Isn't the ARIA Alt mechanism aria-label/aria-labelledby?

Kevin

From: Pyatt, Elizabeth J <ejp10@psu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2024 3:51 AM
To: Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com>
Cc: S <Starry_sky@live.com>; Ms J <ms.jflz.woop@gmail.com>; w3c-wai-ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Unicode characters used as images

You don't often get email from ejp10@psu.edu<mailto:ejp10@psu.edu>. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
Having monitored this thread, I would observe that some characters just have multiple uses. These include x (and also times/close/delete), the . (period/decimal point), * (star/times), and the - (hyphen/minus).

Sighted users are able to unconsciously distinguish the meaning based on the surrounding text. I recognize that this could be more difficult on a screen reader for a number of reasons.  Encoding the same shape to have different meanings is one way to account for this, but it probably won't account for every case such as the >  (greater than/forward arrow variant).

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I do miss having an ARIA Alt mechanism sometimes. Maybe some sort of shape key?

Thinking out loud.

Elizabeth

Kevin Prince
Product Accessibility & Usability Consultant

Foster Moore
A Teranet Company

E kevin.prince@fostermoore.com
Christchurch