RE: progresive enhancement, and wcag guides?

And, Kevin, with the greatest respect, you seem to be more interested in
merely shotting me down rather than addressing my points.

Yes, people with less than twenty-twenty vision 'corrected or otherwise' may
have issues with perceiving the relative brightness of items at relevant
distances, but this is what WCAG requires as a minimum as you point out.

The 4.5 an 7 requirements are intended for people with what is called
reduced and limited vision in Australia, but it is an assumption that higher
contrast ratios actually benefit people with a higher visual acuity.

Relative brightness is not the primary factor in visual processing disorders
or neurological conditions such as dyslexia because these are not
necessarily affected by relative brightness, but hue as far as I understand.

And your explanation of 1.4.1 in a graph has nothing to do with the use of
colour alone, but the low contrast of grey on grey.

And, thank you for pointing out 3.3.7 - 2.2 is not as familiar as it should
be.

My original question to Michael Livesey was about the ways WCAG improved
user experience (or usability?) for all.

Your suggestion that WCAG somehow compels developers to go the extra mile
and make everything usable for everyone isn't all that convincing . nor is
it anything I have seen in my twenty years in the business.

My contention is that - and Benjamin Love pointed to this in a post in this
thread - is that notions like universal design or progressive enhancement
are sometimes counterproductive, are idealistic, and faddish.

I am not discounting the prospect that conforming to WCAG has benefits for
people without a disability - I'd just like to see the evidence.