From: Michael Gower <michael.gower@ca.ibm.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2024 9:05:22 PM
To: Ms J <ms.jflz.woop@gmail.com>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Link labels

Sarah,

Yes, most of the time, the link text will be the label of the link (and will pass Label in Name).

However, think about this:
<link aria-label=”banana”>Apple</link>

The value of the displayed text “Apple” is override by aria-lable to be “Banana”. So, the name of the link, Banana, no longer matches, and therefore fails the requirement that “the name<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/label-in-name.html#dfn-name> contains the text that is presented visually.”

For your question of why this requirement exists, and how it differs from the various other criteria you cite, looking at the In Brief material in https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG22/Understanding/label-in-name.htmldocument may help

Goal

The visual label for controls is a trigger for speech activation.

What to do

Where practical, make the control’s text label and name match.

Why it's important

People who operate with voice interaction use the visible labels in their commands.

So, Label in Name is specifically to address the needs of sighted users who are reliant on what they see matching what is programmatically set under the covers.

Hope that helps.

Mike