Re: 1.4.12 - Text Spacing

Hi Steve,

I do understand these points, but my point is they are tangential, as the “main” way for a user to adjust a site is using their own style sheet, which obviates other design criteria—user style sheets are a hack at best, though some extensions like DarkReader do a fairly good job.

The more central issue is, does the author “block” things like zoom or other personalizations? There’s an actual problem that rests with the author, and therefore the SC should be worded in that specific way, such as:

“The author shall not set the viewport or other features is such a way as to block a user’s ability to ….”

Even so, this is more of a technology issue than an author issue. Chrome is probably farthest along in terms of personalization, though it’s a cluster… AFAIC, no browser is doing what is needed in this space.

I’m not going to go over again the fact that the SC in total is not functionally sound due to the metrics being used, etc., other than to say again that it is not in step with the technology.

Andrew Somers
Senior Color Science Researcher
Redacted for public list
 <https://www.myndex.com/perceptex/>