From: S <Starry_sky@live.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 6, 2023 7:54 PM
To: Carlos Duarte <caduarte@campus.ul.pt>; WAI Interest Group discussion list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Survey about digital accessibility evaluation and monitoring practices

We agree with some of Guy's points but also have to dispute a few.  Last year, the DOJ has issued guidance that websites, etc. must be accessible and they pointed to wcag as the standard so that long-standing argument about suggestion vs requirement no longer applies.

Any reputable technology person or company would test the digital product to make sure it works across multiple devices, operating systems, key browsers, and with assistive technology.  The device manufacturer is responsible for the hardware and to function with the operating system installed but not for how the digital product works.  It is the creator of the digital asset that is responsible to make sure it works or inform people if there are limits like browser version.  In this case, Google is responsible for the accessibility of its form.

But Google is not about providing products especially accessible ones.  IMO Google's business model is finding ways to gather and sell information about you.  Often Google "products" are limited or inoperable when your system blocks or limits its ability to gather your data.  Two people can have the same device, operating system, browser version, etc. but the one that limits or blocks javascript, cookies, beacons, trackers, etc. may have limited or no access to the Google product.  This is by design.