Re: <ol start="3"> Is this accessible?

On 19/11/19 19:36, Brian Lovely wrote:
> Ugh, you mean like:
>
> <ol>
>      <li>Something</li>
>      <li>Something else</li>
> </ol>
>
> That's a violation of WCAG 2.1 SC 4.1.1 Parsing. The ol contains a
> non-supported child (the div). Before any accessibility is looked at,
> a page must be able to pass an HTML linter with no errors. This would
> throw a parent/child error.

This example actually doesn't violate SC 4.1.1. That SC is about two
things: avoiding duplicate IDs (e.g. to make relationships between label
elements and input elements unambiguous) and correct syntax. Having a
div as a child of an ol element is a validation issue that goes beyond
correct syntax.

Best regards,

Christophe

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 1:25 PM Marc Haunschild
> <haunschild@mhis.onmicrosoft.de
> <mailto:haunschild@mhis.onmicrosoft.de>> wrote:
>
>     Then its a matter of presentation (CSS) not semantics (HTML).
>
>     Respect the separation of concerns principle and things will
>     become much easier.
>
>     Flex box offers a easy way to make space between two elements when
>     using margin: auto for example - in this gap you can place your
>     add - although I still might not understand all aspects of your
>     particular component, I think I would use something like this
>
>     <ul>
>       <li>{text}</li>
>       <li>{text}</li>
>       <li>{text}</li>
>       <li>{advertisement}</li>
>     </ul>
>
>     With order you can rearrange the items and by putting the ad at
>     the end you don’t interrupt the logical order
>
>     In a future redesign you won't need to touch the HTML - all
>     changes can be made in the CSS (or SASS/LESS if you prefer to work
>     with a preprocessor)
>
>     Marc
>
>>     On 19. Nov 2019, at 18:58, Jeana Clark <jclark@veritashealth.com
>>     <mailto:jclark@veritashealth.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Patrick - Thanks for your comment.
>>
>>     The problem is we want to put an ad in the middle of a list - but
>>     not make it a list item. So sometimes if it’s a numbered list, we
>>     will close the list, insert the ad, and restart the list (hence
>>     start=“3” on the ol)

>>     *Jeana Clark*
>>     Creative Director
>>
>>     Tel: 847.607.8577
>>     jclark@veritashealth.com <mailto:jclark@veritashealth.com>
>>

>>     Veritas Health, LLC
>>     <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.veritashealth.com/__;%210Ns9_1dOjwg%21LbjzArpgSoEASxfWUXXXLwkCCFWvrg2bfhy6xx3Bwckv9YpzbWfQuBfgSsBEedUd7dO6xA$>
>>      Inc Best Workplace
>>

>>     Spine-health.com
>>     <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.spine-health.com/__;%210Ns9_1dOjwg%21LbjzArpgSoEASxfWUXXXLwkCCFWvrg2bfhy6xx3Bwckv9YpzbWfQuBfgSsBEedXrWZcuvg$> | Arthritis-health.com
>>     <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.arthritis-health.com/__;%210Ns9_1dOjwg%21LbjzArpgSoEASxfWUXXXLwkCCFWvrg2bfhy6xx3Bwckv9YpzbWfQuBfgSsBEedUOrSoztQ$>
>>     Sports-health.com
>>     <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sports-health.com/__;%210Ns9_1dOjwg%21LbjzArpgSoEASxfWUXXXLwkCCFWvrg2bfhy6xx3Bwckv9YpzbWfQuBfgSsBEedU5zLI3cA$> | Pain-health.com
>>     <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.pain-health.com/__;%210Ns9_1dOjwg%21LbjzArpgSoEASxfWUXXXLwkCCFWvrg2bfhy6xx3Bwckv9YpzbWfQuBfgSsBEedWnnV_IlQ$>
>>

>>>     On Nov 19, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Patrick H. Lauke
>>>     <redux@splintered.co.uk <mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk>> wrote:

>>>     Even in those cases, you should be able to just stick them all
>>>     in an <li>...</li> without the need for breaking up a list and
>>>     starting it at a particular number later, unless I'm missing
> [...]

Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter
Responsive Media Experience Research Group (REMEX)
Hochschule der Medien
Nobelstraße 10
70569 Stuttgart
Tel. +49 711 8923 2749

“I drink tea and I know things.”
Falsely attributed to Christophe Lannister.