Re: accessible streaming

On 12 Feb, John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:

> Check out Open Office (www.openoffice.org).  This *free* suite can open MS
> Word docs, and is available for the following platforms:

  Whilst I am both a user of, and an advocate for, the OpenOffice suite,
  I'm afraid the above is only partially true.

  The OpenOffice suit *can* open MS Office documents. However, it can't
  open *all* Word documents. It can also write Word documents, but MS
  Word can't always read them. Of course, *MS Word* can't always open MS
  Word documents, or read documents created with other MS Word versions

  It's a bit of a mess, really. I've had clients who could not open
  their one month old Word documents with a new version of Word.

  I'd claim that the Sec 508 violation's death is grossly exaggerated.
  Distributing a Word document means, basically, that whether or not
  you've got OpenOffice -or- MS Office opening it is uncertain.

   [+46] 0708 557 905